A couple of things not long enough for a full post, but too long for a Twitter update...
- All weekend, I kept hearing about how tragic it was that Reggie Bush returned his Heisman and he was turning away all this heritage, rich tradition, etc. Yeah, not so much. See the Heisman lost all meaning as an award in 1997 when ESPN campaigned for Charles Woodson to get it over Peyton Manning. Since that time, the award has been a meaningless one....
- Phil Fulmer goes on live TV and while he didn't open hand slap Tim Brando (who is the smarmiest sports reporter EVER), he did verbally slap Lane Kiffin. And I loved it. Can he be the next AD for the Vols, please?!?!
- As proud as I am of the effort the Vols game Saturday against Florida, it still sucks to lose to the Gators for six straight years. My poor nephew doesn't recall a time when the Vols beat Florida. This needs to change starting next year.
- If Vandy can beat Ole Miss, then so can the Vols. Houston Nutt, welcome to the hot seat.
- Joining you will be Marc Richt of Georgia, who still has a loss to Florida looming and could lose to the Vols. I know, it seems unlikely, but Georgia tends to find ways to lose games they shouldn't and the UT vs Georgia game could qualify.
- It was a terrible weekend for my favorite teams, football-wise. The Titans started a QB controversy when Vince Young was replaced by Kerry Collins. Thing was, neither was effective. Pittsburgh showed that if you shut down the run game and dare Young to beat you, you can rattle the Titans offense. If I were the defense, I'd be mad as hell as the offense. They gave us a lot of chances to win.
- As for the Redskins, we still have kicker issues. How many times will this haunt us? Last year it was the Saints, this year the Texans. I will weep if the Texans make the playoffs and actually win a game.
- On a good note, the Cowboys lost. I laughed a long time about that one.
- Finally, ComCast gave us a free sample of NFL Red Zone and I've gotta say it was pretty awesome. Interestingly, the feed for CBS games was five seconds faster on NFL Red Zone than it was on my local CBS affiliate. I can see myself spending the five bucks a month to have this during the season.
Labels: football, Redskins, tennessee football, Titans
posted by Unknown at 9/20/2010 11:59:00 AM