Just a few random things that have crossed my mind this Monday morning as I struggle to get into the working groove and figure out the softball line-up for tonight.
posted by Michael Hickerson at 9/19/2005 09:22:00 AM
- Watching the end of Family Guy last night, FOX has a great promo for the season premiere of Arrested Development. Jason Bateman came on and said that the show won five Emmys last year but gained few new viewers, so this year if the season premiere got 15 million viewers, they'd give an Emmy they won to Carmen Electra (who was also featured in the promo). For some reason, this just cracked me--I think part of it is how deadpan Bateman was in the promo, just like his character Michael Bluth. Let me say this--if you've not yet watched AD, I cannot recommend it enough to you. I know it's a hard time slot, espeically tonight when it faces off against a special NFL game with the Saints facing the Giants from New York. But I'd love to see the show get 15 million viewers.
- Speaking of Family Guy, there were reports last week of the shuffling of episodes for the kick-off to the season. Last night's had a couple of references to a hurricane and there was a tidal wave scene out of The Perfect Storm. But honestly, I think the reason they switched was that last week's was funny and this week's was not so hot. It's not good that in your fourth season, you're starting to repeat gags.
- Speaking of repating gags, after being pretty funny last week, American Dad was just not so great. Sorry, but the master-of-your-domain jokes were a lot funnier when Seinfeld did them a decade ago. Also, re-watching old episodes of The Simpsons on DVD only serves to remind me how much the show has fallen off in the past couple of years.
- The Emmys. OK, so I didn't really watch, but I kept up with the awards. First of all, Hugh Laurie was robbed, plain and simple. And as much as I love William Shatner, how in the world does he get a nod over Terry O'Quinn who just kicks all forms of you-know-what as Locke on Lost?!? At least Lost won the Emmy for best drama and it returns later this week! Woo-hoo! (And no, I'm not bitter that Scrubs and AD didn't get the nod as best comedy...nope, not me!)
- Driving into work today, I heard the UT fans on the radio, calling for the head of Randy Sanders. I'm sure had I tuned in after the game to the Vol network coverage, I'd've heard the same type of comments. There were rumors swirlling before the season started that should Randy not have a good year, then maybe David Cutcliffe might be invited back to the role of offensive coordinator. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think Randy Sanders does a competent job, but he's so Jeckyl and Hyde out there. He has flashes of brilliance and then he also has flashes of mediocrity. As a Vol fan, I want to win every game and I am not sure if Randy Sanders gives us the best chance to do so. Of course, I am saying this now in the doldrums of disappointment after losing to Florida. Should he pull out a great gameplan against LSU, I might feel differently.
- Vanderbilt is 3-0.....apparently hell has frozen over. Oh wait--they've not played the big boys yet....