Church softball started up again last night with a big doubleheader. We won both games, but more importantly everyone got to play, everyone had fun and no one got hurt.
Scary thought--I am helping to coach the team.
So, here's some moments of happiness from the games.
posted by Michael Hickerson at 8/09/2005 07:43:00 AM
- First of all, it's co-ed and due to vacations, etc. we had to recruit some reluctant female volunteers to play, who all told us that they couldn't hit and didn't think they could play. But, to steal and butcher Shakespeare, I think they doth protest too much. We had some women who assured us they could not hit at all instead get up and get some good, solid hits. I tell you, it's just great to see them surprise themselves and have fun all at the same time.
- Christa, one of our female players, caught a fly ball out in left center and was so happy she started jumping up and down. Then later, when she connected at the plate and got at least three hits, she was really excited about it.
- Skylor, her husband, made some great plays at third-base including one a catch on a rocket hit to him. I'm telling you, the SportsCenter top 10 has nothing as spectacular this morning.
- So, we started a bit late..and we're in the last seven to eight minutes of the last game, leading by six. As their team takes the field for the final inning, the sprinkler system starts up. It got a laugh from everyone.
- Again, we just went out, had a good time, some good fellowship and no one got hurt.
- To tell you the age range of our team, our oldest player just celebrated his 50th b'day and was talking about how flattered he was to be on a team with all us young 'uns and then we had the youngest in their early 20s.