Yesterday at church, some friends of Susan and Brian gave them three tickets to attend the Michael W. Smith
Christmas concert. And we're not talking about inexpensive tickets here--these were GREAT seats on the right hand side of the stage about five rows up.
I was pretty excited about going. I'd really wanted to go to the concert--I've heard great things about Michael W. Smith's Christmas concerts--but couldn't afford a ticket.
Also on tour with Smith were Point of Grace
and the Katinas
(who I had never heard of before last night).
Let me say this--the concert was amazing. I went in hoping to hear a couple of songs I've heard on Michael W. Smith's first Christmas CD and he did those. But I was totally blown away by the concert.
Actually, to call it concert isn't doing it justice. It was a worship service and it was am amazing one. I got goose pimples several times during the evening. And when it was over, I wished it have gone on longer. It was just that good.
A couple of the many highlights:
- Michael Smith singng "Emmanuel" and then the Katinas came in with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". Fabulous!
- The Katinas singing "Mary Did You Know"?
- Point of Grace did some spectacular songs--new group member Leigh Cappillino can really sing. Again, goosepimples.
- Michael Smith gave us a sample of two songs off his new CD--the title track of "Healing Rain" and his cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
- The back-up band was spectacular. It included a guy who played the reed flute and bagpipes and a very talented woman on violin.
- Michael made everyone get up and introduce yourself to someone you don't know. Great fun.
- Singing along with some of the worship songs--songs that we've used at Thursday Night Worship at Smyrna 1st.
To say I enjoyed myself is an understatement. It was an awesome event that reminded me of what this time of year is all about. It's really help me get into the real Christmas spirit.
posted by Michael Hickerson at 12/20/2004 10:22:00 AM