The Nashville sports-talk airwaves were on-fire yesterday with discussion of the sudden termination of Ashley McElhiney
. (Kind of sad, really that the liveliest discussion about this team of late has been about this). Of course, everyone had a take on whether or not McElhiney should be re-instated as coach and just what went on during the incident Saturday night. (Also, if you were McElhiney, would you take the job back if it were offered?)
A couple of points during the various conversations I heard that caught my interest.
- One caller compared McElhiney to Jackie Robinson in baseball. As the first female coach of a men's sport, she had a unique position and she is judged on everything. And will this incident set things back for women getting the chance to coach since some will take it as--"See, look what happened."
- What exactly the relationship between the owners and CEO of the Rhythm are. Apparently it's two brothers, one of whom is married to Sally Anthony. As one caller pointed out--someone is probably sleeping on the couch tonight.
- Why doesn't the ABA do something? Basically, for fear of losing a team.
- Did the team try to stand-up for McElhiney? There were reports they might have and Anthony threatened to disolve the team if they did. (Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...)
- The Rhythm were set to play a game this week in McElhiney's home town. It was sold out but the speculation one no one would show up.
Some type of announcement by the team is expected today, but I've yet to hear anything. There were bizarre rumors going about that Anthony fell down some stairs Saturday evening. Then, this morning's Tennesssean reports that it looks like she tried to hurt herself.
Does any of this explain her bizarre behavoir?
posted by Michael Hickerson at 2/01/2005 02:09:00 PM